Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Richard Nieto - Update


This is one of those unusual moments when I post news other than dancing on this blog. I do this with sadness because one of our Dance Hawaii instructors, Richard Nieto, is fighting for his life in ICU at Tripler Hospital. Many of our fellow dance instructors know Richard and Cora Nieto of Dance Hawaii (aka Dance Aliamanu), and moreso as former dance instructors for HBDA. When Lani and I went to visit Richard yesterday, he was still hooked on to life support system and still in a coma. I don't know if he heard every word I said to him because there was no reaction. It was difficult to see a friend and fellow dance instructor in such a helpless condition. We can only pray for his condition to change to the better and give encouraging support to his wife Cora. I have included an update of his condition from Prez Maurice Morita of Dance Hawaii. (e-mail follows)..........

As for yesterday (Monday, August 16th), Richard received an EEG test and found his brain stem is okay but it is unknown the condition Richard is in affected the human brains. This is one area that is unknown in the medical field. The doctor has said only time will tell!

Thank you for the moral support for Richard as I can tell you Cora and her family appreciates the support for Richard's well-being. Many family as well as friends, especially from our Dance Hawaii Ohana,have visited Richard. I went to see Richard yesterday about 3:00 p.m. Gilda and the Chinen's went about 8:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. to give Cora company and our moral support. I heard Frank & Lani Sierra visited Richard yesterday morning, and saw Junie Sato coming to see Richard. There were many others who visited Richard and Cora. I saw the Nishimura's, Manuel's....thank you for the support! Because what has happened to Richard, the hospital have allowed visitors to visit any time, day or night. There are no visiting hours!

The doctors are asking Cora to do a family meeting after 72 hours since Richard went into a coma, if there are those who are planning to visit Richard later this week or this weekend, I would suggest you do your visitation today or at least by tomorrow, just in case, a decision is made. I know the love between Cora and Richard, and whatever decision Cora has to make will be a tough one. I know she does not want to lose Richard and hope a miracle will happen. We must continue praying for a miracle for Richard to recover as fast as possible.

If you don't understand what I am trying to say, please call me at 225-0326 anytime! Its really hard to write what I want to say.

Thanks again, from the NIETO FAMILY, for all your prayers, moral support, etc. What we need is a miracle so Richard can dance again, cook again.....the best chef I have known and always enjoyed his cooking, and most of all, being a good friend with a good heart (always ready to help others).

In God We Trust,
Maurice