Thursday, November 19, 2009

Cruising The 3rd Week Of November

Aloha Students of Dance. I hope you were able to take in all those mellow news by Calvin, June, Maile, and of course da mysterious Specter on the links to this blogsite. I've been laying low for awhile but not too low that I'm out of touch. I gotta thank Ravi and Synthia for their contribution to the Dancing In The Dark blogsite on The Festival of Lights, and the upcoming Diamond Head Theater Christmas With Jim Nabors. They are pretty much connected with the Diamond Head Theater Shooting Stars, the USA Dance Organization, and the Lotus dancers. So stay tuned for more happening from them.

This past Sunday, Lani and I cruised over to Radford HS to observe the Dance Aliamanu Showcase practice choreographed by Andy and Monica. We were invited to participate with the eight couples but with such a short time to pick up the routine before the big event, we had to decline. However, it is a captivating medley and one to watch and enjoy come January 15.


Our Monday night Cha Cha and Jitterbug class went okay. Despite the strong winds and rain, we had a good turnout of students. Lani and I taught the Circle Breaks in the Cha Cha before going back to reviewing some of the previous patterns. We did the same for the Jitterbug after Lani and I taught the Shoulder Check.



Tuesday night is when Lani and I become students of Andy and Monica in the Filipino Tango. This was our 4th lesson and we were very eager to learn the Grapevine pattern that Andy and Monica had demonstrated last week. New students had shown up on this
4th week of lesson. I think it was a blessing, too, because everyone was in favor of going over the patterns in Block 2, and 3.
The Fiqure 4 leg lift, the two cross hands underarm turns became much clearer and danceable. As we progressed into the Grapevine pattern, the Filipino Tango became easier to dance with music.

The winds were pretty strong Wednesday evening as Lani and I headed for Kaiser CSA for our Foxtrot and Tango class but it was much cooler than the Wednesday before. I guess I got into the Grapevine fever from the evening before. So Lani and I taught the Grapevine pattern in the Foxtrot before reviewing some of the other patterns. The students were really into it and started to form their own combination of patterns. This was the goal that Lani and I had set for our students and it was coming into play.
Since our students were dancing the Grapevine with other patterns so well, the Grapevine fever hit me once more. What's good for the Foxtrot has gotta be good for the Tango, I thought. So Lani and I taught the Grapevine pattern in the Tango and it worked out very well with the students. (Info: The American Tango Grapevine pattern is not the same as the Filipino Tango Grapevine).
That's a wrap for now.