Monday, March 29, 2010

10 Year Old Wins Dance Essay Contest

10 YEAR OLD WINS DANCE ESSAY CONTEST! was submitted by Rita O'Conner. The Valley Isle has gotta be proud that one of their young native sons has won this contest and found the passion for ballroom dancing..


Maui, HAWAII –Private Image Dance Studio sponsored a "Love Of Dance" essay contest (with three different topic options) to keiki & adults of Maui. Judges (from the mainland) chose Maui youth Sol Singer, age 10, as the winner of this year's contest! Sol received a gift certificate for a private dance lesson with Dance Professional Rita O'Connor, NDCA. Sol has been involved with the Ballroom & Latin Dance Program of South Maui Parks & Recreation Community Classes for less than a year!

Here is his winning entry:
"I love to dance. It is fun. Merengue is my favorite because I can do all these creative, complex moves with a simple step. East-coast Swing has some nice moves too. I look forward to learning new steps and hot dances at class. As I hear that music, that rhythm - I am overcome with the urge to dance. My feet start to heat-up with anticipation as I eagerly make my way to the dance floor. 5-6-7-8 DANCE! I am instantly filled with happiness. Everyone should learn to dance, especially my mom and dad who I love dearly. If I win the essay contest, I choose to gift the private lesson to my parents. In this way, I can share my passion for Ballroom Dancing with them."