Monday, March 14, 2011

The Honolulu Festival @ Ala Moana Centerstage

Normally, Lani and I avoid large shopping centers like Ala Moana Center on Sundays. But this past Sunday it was a must go to pick up an item that was held on hold at Macy's. Of course, when going to Macy's, browsing becomes a sporting event for Lani. For me, it's Barnes and Noble Booksellers. Reading has become a passion for me when Lani goes shopping. So after an hour, she calls me on the cellphone, "there's gonna be a show at Centerstage". Like a paparazo, I quickly got my camera and headed to the Centerstage. Big crowd but the event hasn't started yet.


After a short wait of 10 minutes, the lady EmCee comes out and gives a blow by blow description of what's in store in English and then in Japanese.

It was part of the HONOLULU FESTIVAL!





A lot of action going on by young dancers from Japan. They called themselves the TGP Crew. Mostly street dancing ...Hip Hop...Crumping...Popping...Break Dancing...and a lot of jumping up & down. A good performance on the various styles of Street Dancing.




Yuka & Studio Pilialoha performers came on next that brought the tone down several notches. No doubt the Hawaiian Hula has taken a hold in Japan. And the ladies performed the hula pretty good and the accompanying music players were superb.
Lani and I left during the Hula performance but I was able to get some shots of the performers in action. You might want to check the Ala Moana Centerstage schedule for more performances during the Honolulu Festival.
(Left click on photo to zoom in).