Thursday, September 05, 2013

The Rock 'N' Rollers of 1988


I was going through my photo archive to delete some photos that's been sitting and collecting dust (so to speak). Then I came across this photo taken in 1988 and sparked my main squeeze Lani in it with the Rock 'N' Roll dancers. This was one of three exhibitions that I did not appear dancing with Lani. (The other two were the Hula for HBDA, and the Hip Hop for another dance organization). It's been many many moons since I laid eyes on this photo and that got me musing once more.

It was the vintage year 1988 when HBDA introduced Rock 'N' Roll in their curriculum as a pilot program. It served as a prelude to showcasing a Rock 'N' Roll dance exhibition in their 29th Anniversary Ball. The special performance was dubbed "A Rock 'N' Roll Escapade"  and was choreographed by the late Evelyn Cummings who was a talented HBDA Rotating Instructor. Quoting from an article by Sim Redona, "this action packed special is composed of hard core Rock 'N' Rollers...ten sexy chicks and only three foxy dudes...Gutsy Thirteen!...assembled from Ala Wai, Kaimuki, and Hawaii Kai Chapters". Lets see if my memory serves me well. The guys were Calvin, Joe, and Jerry. The gals were Terri, Jane, Francine, Faye, Kathy, Diane, Ann, Yvonne, Patsy, and Lani. Okay fast forward to 2013. Twenty five years has gone by since "A Rock 'N' Roll Escapade" wowed the audience at the anniversary ball but I gotta say that I've seen some of those dancers in the photo frequent the Palladium and they are still in Grade A shape and dancing with vigor. Goes to show that "dancing is good for you. It keeps you young and healthy".  (Left click on photo to zoom in).